Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"I want all my daughters / To be like Maxine Waters"

There's a really great review over at dustedmagazine.com about a new compilation out called Fly Girls! B-Boys Beware: Revenge Of The Super Female Rappers! The writer really knows his stuff and I strongly suggest at least reading the review.
http://dustedmagazine.com/reviews/4923

Writer Jake O' Connell brings you through decades - from African princess/ poets such as Camille Yarbrough to the more modern day fly girl rivalry between Roxanne Shante and The Real Roxanne.

Here are some videos of artists he mentions.

Shirley Ellis - The Clapping Song


Blackalicous ft. Nikki Giovanni - Ego Trip
This one is seriously awesome.


The Sequence - Simon Says
This is sort of like the missing link in the story.


Roxanne Shante- Dance to This
So young with such a naughty mouth on her.
(Roxanne Shante is now a PhD in psychology)


MC Lyte - I Go One
Clearly this is for the women. I love how she's looking at slides and that she threatens to steal guys shorts because she might want to wear them.


I also can't resist putting up this video of Sista Souljah. Can she please be our next president?


The compilation and review don't go up this far but I can't help bringing this slightly more up to date with one of my fav's.
Missy Elliot - Work It

Watch more Under Construction videos on AOL Video

No comments: