Saturday, March 7, 2009

Cool Quote


Openly gay Episcopalian bishop Gene Robinson explains on NPR the uproar caused by his comment about wanting to be a "June Bride" while on CSPAN.

"What I said was 'I always wanted to be a June bride'. Now I think part of why that raced around the world in no time flat, due to the magic of the internet, has to do with misogyny and its connection to homophobia. I think the thing that really irritates the world about referring to myself as a bride, is that I'm supposed to be privileged because I'm male, not female. And to refer to myself with a feminine word like bride, it really offends the patriarchal system, that, I think, is beginning to come apart. And gay and lesbian people, I think, are starting to begin the deconstruction of patriarchy."

No comments: